Wikipedia sometimes cracks me up. The online reference source by the masses has an interesting description of Washingtonian.
Washingtonian is used to refer to people from the state of Washington (see List of people from Washington) or the greater metropolitan area of Washington, D.C. (see List of people from Washington, D.C.), in the United States.
We’re second to the state out west? Guess that all depends on which coast you live. I don’t know anyone in the east who when discussing Washingtonian thinks about the Pacific-Canadian border state.
Washingtonian may also refer to:
• Washingtonian (Amtrak train), a named passenger train.
Uh, pass on this one.
Doubly pass on this one.
• Washingtonian (magazine), a cultural magazine in Washington, D.C.
Again, referring to an object, not a person.
• Washingtonian movement, a temperance movement from early in the history of the United States.
I’ll drink to that, but again never heard of it.
• The Washingtonians, a short story written by Bentley Little.
Had to google this one. Actually about a horror story involving George Washington. Uh, pass again. I’m feeling a theme here.
• “Washingtonian,” a neologism for American (nationals of the United States), see names for U.S. citizens.
A neo-what? Nobody trades Washingtonian for American.