The original lies on a hilltop on the Glenkiln Farm Estate in Scotland where a shepherd once oversaw his flock.
British sculptor Henry Moore made the 11-foot tall bronze cross with a small crosspiece near the top and realized it looked like a Celtic cross. It wasn’t intentional, but it sure comes across that way.
Sir William Keswick collected artwork of Moore along with Auguste Rodin and Jacon Einstein while owning Glenkiln from 1951-76. It was the world’s first sculpture collection in a landscape setting.
This version lies by the Hirshhorn Sculpture Garden on 7th and Jefferson Dr.