Long before it was a staging area for Civil War troops met by president Abe Lincoln or where blood was shed during the Battle of 1812 as British troops marched into Washington or even when it became a cemetery, Fort Lincoln was an historic area.
The 178-acre cemetery established by the Maryland General Assembly in 1912 includes one of the original boundary stones ordered by President George Washington to determine the capital’s exact limits.
The cemetery is technically in Bladensburg, Md. as boundary stone NE7 hugs inside the fence line. Visitors should head as far to the right in the cemetery as possible, pass the columbarium for urns and about 50 feet afterwards across from the Garden of the Crucifixion to find the white stone inside a black iron fence.
The stone was erected in 1791-92 during the survey by Andrew Ellicott. The iron cage was erected around the cemetery stone in 1916 by the D.C. Daughters of the American Revolution and a new one in 2012 using iron from the old cage.